CTA President E. Toby Boyd is in his first term of office beginning June 26, 2019 through June 25, 2021. His background includes a host of leadership and advocacy roles during a 25-year teaching career in the Elk Grove Unified School District. He has been elected CTA president after two terms as CTA District E Governing Board member.
In that capacity, Boyd represented most of the CTA members in the counties of Sacramento and San Joaquin. He was involved with an educational program in Elk Grove Unified that assists under-represented children in a program called MESA (Mathematics, Engineering, Science Achievement). He held the positions of MESA advisor and elementary coordinator for Elk Grove and served as the liaison between the school district and the universities involved with the program.
As a strong site representative for the Elk Grove Educators Association, he gained the respect of his peers and was appointed as a bargaining team member. He served as a delegate to the CTA State Council of Education, the union’s top governing body. At State Council, Boyd served on the Early Child Education Committee, where he was appointed the chair of the kindergarten subcommittee. He also held the position of member/minority-at-large on the CTA Association for a Better Citizenship Committee. Boyd is a 12-time delegate to the National Education Association Representative Assembly.
He was also involved with Preschool California, an organization seeking the implementation of universal access to preschool for all California’s children. Boyd served as a spokesperson for the group at several functions and represented the organization’s position on at least two state legislative panels. He was also appointed by former Assembly Speaker Karen Bass to the state’s California Early Learning Quality Improvement System Advisory Committee, where he was the vice-chair of the Data Systems for Program Improvement and Research/Evaluation subcommittee. Boyd also served on the California Transitional Kindergarten Professional Learning Steering Committee.
Boyd is a graduate of California State University-Sacramento, where he earned a bachelor’s degree in liberal studies with an emphasis in bilingual/cross-cultural studies, and then earned his teaching credential from the Multi-Cultural/Multi-Lingual Center at the university.
- Company:California Teachers Association
- Short Bio:CTA President
- March 14, 2020, 12:00 pm 2020 Good Teaching Conference South
- February 23, 2020, 10:15 AM 2020 New Educator Weekend NORTH
- February 8, 2020, 12:00 pm 2020 Good Teaching Conference North
- January 18, 2020, 12:30 PM 2020 Issues Conference
- December 8, 2019, 10:15 AM 2019 New Educator Weekend SOUTH
- November 24, 2019, 10:15 AM 2019 High Desert Service Center Fall Leadership Conference
- October 11, 2019, 18:00 2019 CTA Region I Leadership Conference
- September 28, 2019, 12:00 2019 Region III Leadership Conference
- July 28, 2019, 19:30 2019 Summer Institute